The Brownells

The Brownells

More Pictures?

My phone won't let me post pictures on this blog, so I actually have to sit at a computer (which I do very rarely).....So, I post all of our pictures at www.thebrownells.shutterfly.com

About Me

My photo
I have a husband and a puppy. I love one and am obsessed with the other. I'll let you figure out which is which. I love my job, my house, my students, my cheerleaders, and my life. I guess you could say things are going pretty well... I teach high school English and coach cheer. Husband is a video game designer. Guess which one the future Brownell babies will think is cooler...

Monday, January 24, 2011

Just Call Me the COUPON QUEEN!

So, I have a new obsession.  It grew out of mocking (as most of my life), and now I'm the mocked instead of the mock-ee.

TLC had a show called "Extreme Couponing" where a bunch of crazy (And I use the term crazy totally endearingly, as now I wish I was as cool as they were!) use coupons to get things for super cheap and/or free.  As James, Andrew and I were watching it, we mocked the fact that these people were seriously obsessed.  Then it became, "how did they do that?"  Then it became "I want to do that"  Then it became "I'm doing it!". 

Growing up, my family never used coupons.  So, as an adult, we never use coupons.  Not that saving money doesn't sound like a good idea.  I mean, the more I save at the grocery store, the more I can spend on shoes.  It's a win-win for everyone!  So, I decided to tackle this whole coupon world.  I am a total neat/organization freak, so I can't just collect coupons.  I have to ORGANIZE coupons!
Coupon Notebook 
Obsessive = yes
Nerdy = no
Awesome = yes

So, I have now made it a weekly thing.  Every Sunday I go through the newspaper and clip coupons.  It's more fun than anything else.  Twice I have gone to CVS and gotten a bag worth of stuff for free.  It's awesome.  Here's what I bought today:

I got all of this for $21.  While I realize that is not free, I did get A LOT for a little!  I got: 3 twelve packs of soda, 2 bottles of laundry degergent, 2 two liter bottles of soda, 3 boxes of granola bars, 2 tubes of toothpaste, 2 bottles of soda, 2 containers of floss, 2 Cadbury Eggs and 1 bottle of Aleve.  


Most of this is not stuff I needed at this moment, at when it is super cheap, I stock up.  That's what the nerds on the TV show did, and they are my coupon idols.

Andrew now refers to me as the "Coupon Queen"  You may start doing so also.

2 comments:

Emily Heizer Photography said...

I was a self appointed Coupon Psycho for awhile (I prefer that to Queen.. it just fits me more..) but when I got to the point where I had to invest in a storage container for all of packages of fruit snacks/granola bars/fiber 1 bars/fruit roll ups and like items and had to start storing the boxes of cereal I bought for 25 cents a pop in my stove because I ran out of space, I decided I might be taking it too far and needed to scale back.

This was my best transaction: http://confessionsofawannabehomeeconomist.blogspot.com/2010/03/it-could-have-been-better.html

Mrs. ummmmmm......Brownell said...

I am attempting to not allow it to take over like that. I am only buying stuff we actually need. Cereal is usually super cheap, but neither of us eat it, so I never buy it!

The Brownells

The Brownells
Maximus