The Brownells

The Brownells

More Pictures?

My phone won't let me post pictures on this blog, so I actually have to sit at a computer (which I do very rarely).....So, I post all of our pictures at www.thebrownells.shutterfly.com

About Me

My photo
I have a husband and a puppy. I love one and am obsessed with the other. I'll let you figure out which is which. I love my job, my house, my students, my cheerleaders, and my life. I guess you could say things are going pretty well... I teach high school English and coach cheer. Husband is a video game designer. Guess which one the future Brownell babies will think is cooler...

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sometimes kids are funny....

I am in the process of reading "Julius Caesar" with my 10th grade classes.  I remember hating Shakespeare in H.S., so I can't even imagine how much torture it must be to my large population of language learners!  I try to make it fun, but sometimes it is hard to get them into it.  Then last week, while I was working it and performing magic (i.e. the kids were interested), some kid carrying a gun and beating his girlfriend (classy, I know), came on campus and we had to go on a complete lock down.  Try teaching Shakespeare to students when they know we are on lockdown.  Actually don't try, it's impossible!  Then on Wednesday we had a massive power outage and I was without power for two periods.  So, I had to teach in the dark.  Awesome.  

So anyway, today we are reading and they are pretty into it.  I am feeling like the day is going so well and then I proceed to describe Portia.  Shakespeare tells us that she has "the mind of a man, but the heart of a woman," which makes sense to me.  A kid yells out "HOT!" and the class giggles.  I attempt to control myself and not giggle, as I can imagine what he is imagining.  I failed and giggled like a 10 year old school boy.

1 comment:

Erin said...

glad to see the updates finally!!!

The Brownells

The Brownells
Maximus